Saturday, March 26, 2016

Chewbacca speaks English in this footage from "The Empire Strikes Back"

I'm not a huge STAR WARS guy - enough to see THE FORCE AWAKENS in the theater within the first week, but not enough to see it on the first night.  (My geekdom is genetic, so I was bound to see it eventually.)  That said, I'm still kind of astonished that there hasn't been a lot of mention about this footage that was clearly not used in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK that shows Chewbacca speaking English in a severe accent.



Unlike some of the behind-the-scenes footage in which Peter Mayhew is just speaking his lines as filler, this seems more like the character speaking his dialogue "in character."  I'm reasonably sure this was never meant to be part of the film itself, but it's still a curiously finished segment that shows Mayhew was committed to the character, even when his lines were going to get replaced completely by the yowling noises we know today.




No comments:

Post a Comment